“With approximately 207,000 miles of occupied track in the United States and supporting crossties of approximately 3,000 per mile, railroads have approximately 620 million crossties currently in used in the U. S. Ties wear out through normal decay, insect attack, and physical impact and abrasion and as the result of derailments, rail modifications, or other causes. Approximately 23 million new wood ties are purchased and installed in the North American rail network every year.”
~ 2018 Railroad Tie Survey
A Railroad Tie Grinding System Designed to your Needs
Recycling Railroad Ties
With so many of our nation’s railroad crossties decaying year after year, the need for durable railroad tie grinding systems is great—and designing custom wood grinders for various uses is what we do best at Rawlings Manufacturing.
The Horizontal Model is the best suited grinder for processing railroad ties, logs, brush, yard waste, storm debris, C&D waste and other mixed bulky wood feedstocks. Rawlings Horizontal wood hogs are available in 5 different sizes, each system can be designed with work platform decks, choice of belt, chain, vibrating in-feed and out-feed conveyors, metal or magnet protection and product screening that allows the customer to protect their investment while producing a consistently high-quality end product.
Rawlings specialty is custom designed industrial sized wood grinding systems. Once our design team is given the project parameters we develop conceptual layouts with the customer and customize the wood grinding system to meet our client’s specific processing needs and budget.
We invite you to inquire about any of the projects that we have completed, we can provide you with full details.
- Our machines were originally designed with rock crusher technology.
- The machines are extremely tolerant of contaminants, such as railroad tie spikes, rocks and metal without catastrophic maintenance costs if metal enters the grinding chamber.
- The Rawlings HZX is protected by an Anvil Safety Shear Swing Away Feature , that allows metal and other damaging objects to drop through on to the out-feed conveyor. When the Pins are sheared, a protection circuit shuts down the Hog and conveyor. The anvil shear pins are mounted in removable brackets ensuring quick turnaround time to remove large sections of tramp metal and have the hog up and running again.
- Super Hi-Inertia™ Rotor: Each railroad tie grinding system is equipped with the Rawlings Super Hi-Inertia™ Solid Steel Rotor. With the increased inertia of the solid steel sections our machine provides the crushing and shearing power needed to handle really tough applications like grinding railroad ties, green waste, cypress, redwood, cedar and black spruce without continuous jam ups.
- The Rawlings machine runs at lower RPM’S than our competitor’s machines and half the speed of conventional hammer mills resulting in overall savings of electricity and maintenance costs.
- The cam profile of the Rawlings rotor prevent feed surges by keeping material closer to the cutting edge of the bits. This translates to better productivity as the in-feed conveyor is stalled less frequently and less down time as the increased energy reduces the number of motor drive stalls.